Thursday, December 10, 2009

ER performed X-Rays knowing that I could possibly be pregnant...?

I went to the ER on the 30th of July, but knew if I was pregnant it happend probably the 23rd of July - that's 7 days after concieving - so my questions are...



1. I told the doctor I could possibly be pregnant, he insisted on a blood test - would it show up in a blood test 7 days after having unprotected sex??



2. Knowing that I may possibly be pregnant, he went ahead and sent me for stomach and chest x-rays - has about 4 stomach x-rays and 3 chest x-rays done...he didn't wait for the pregnancy test results, just sent me in - I told the x-ray tech that I may be pregnant (she didn't even ask) - and she said that it was okay and went ahead and did what she was told to do - since then I've been having terrible cramping....no spotting just cramping..



well the blood test came back negative at the end of the night, just 7 days after unprotected sex....was it too early to tell?? I am a week late for my period now, and home pregnancy tests are still showing negative as of 4 days ago..



ER performed X-Rays knowing that I could possibly be pregnant...?concert tickets



It is against hospital policy to not ask you about pregnancy. It is also against the rules to not wait to confirm pregnancy before taking the xrays. What the hospital did was wrong. Did they at least put lead on you for the chest xrays? (that way they protected you as best they could...You cant have lead for the tummy pics). Xray radiation produces an all -or -nothing response in the first weeks after conception. If you are pregnant it will either do damage or do nothing at all.......hence all or nothing. I would write to/call the director of the radiology department of the hospital you were in and tell them about the safety issues...



ER performed X-Rays knowing that I could possibly be pregnant...?theater seating opera theater



Well, I don't know if you are pregnant (you could be), but that small amount of radiation shouldn't be enough to harm your baby if you are. If they felt they needed to do stomach and chest x-rays, it's probably a good thing they did. It's more important that you be healthy for your baby than to avoid x-rays. That's why they didn't show concern. They should have TOLD you clearly that it would be fine. But, trust me. If you are pregnant your kids will be fine:)
The pregnancy test done in the hospital would only show up if the egg had already implanted. However, 7 days is the average it takes for an egg to implant so it probably wouldn't have shown up at that time. Having said that... I'm sure that they went ahead with the xrays since a) your test came back negative and b) if you were trying to implant and xrays messed things up they know your body would discard the egg (early miscarriage) before you even knew you were pregnant. I wouldn't worry about it hurting the baby... the question is... were you still able to implant or not... if not, you will start your period soon and if so then you'll test positive soon. Good Luck.
a few x-rays done correctly shouldn't hurt the baby anyway... you say you aren't under stress but if i went to the ER and had a bunch of x-rays i would be too.. i would think 7 days is too early but if you are late in your period you should know by now one way or the other.. there may be another issue..
i had x-rays done when i was 2 months pregnant. didn't cause any harm to my unborn child. if they have to do x-rays there is no other way around it. if you are pregnant your not far enough along for it to even cause any harm to the baby. everything will be fine
7 days is too early to show up on a blood test. But if you are a week late and you took a test four days ago, then it will show up. You can usually take a test several days before your missed period, although at home pregnancy tests are unrealiable. The doctor you saw seems extremely inconsiderate, he should have explained to you the risks or assured you it was safe, and also waited for the results. I'd call the head of that hospital and complain.
blood tests are the most accurate, if he had any suspision or your test came back positive the xrays would not have bappened. 7 days after unprotected sex is way to early anyway.
Hi there,



I know exactly how you feel. During one of my two-week wait phases I got a staph infection and needed antibiotics. I was so torn between taking them and not taking them, even though there was only a "chance" I would be pregnant. I was assured the antibiotics were fine, but you never know. I felt terrible. At the end of 2 weeks AF flow showed up and I was actually GLAD (as much as I'm dying to have a baby). So I know how you feel.



Here's what I think...I think the hospital was wrong. They are supposed to ASK about pregnancy and confirm if you suspect you may be. I think they moved too fast and you should complain to someone about this. That aside, 7 days is borderline for test results. Implantation takes anywhere from 7-10 days to complete and it's only at the end that you will test positive with a blood test. This is IF you ovulated on time. If you ovulated so much as a day later than you think, it would throw it off.



If your period is still late and your last test was 4 days ago, I would test again tomorrow morning. HCG doubles every 36-48 hours, so 4 days makes a BIG difference.



If you end up pregnant, mention to your OB that you had x-rays done during your two-week wait phase. I'm sure everything is fine, but it's definitely worth mentioning to your doctor.



Good luck.
I just want to add one thing... no one can force you to have x-rays. It is YOUR decision, not the doctor's. You always have the right to refuse.



Just a little FYI for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd