Saturday, December 5, 2009

Should I take action? Pap test results showed higher than normal precancer cells, so it was thought

At each ob/gyn visit I assured the doctors that I had never had intercourse, yet they proceeded to perform 2 cryo cotorizations and were going to perform laser surgery when I asked if my treatment would be different if I did or didn't have HPV. My doctor said that if I didn't have HPV then I would just have to have paps 2-3 times a year to keep an eye on the cell levels. I told her again that I had never had sex (hard for her to believe since I am 23 and engaged). They ran the HPV test and it came back negative. I have spent months worrying about my health and future child-bearing, not to mention the pain of the procedures and their cost.What shoud I do now? I am unhappy with the way they handeled my situation, and no one else should have to go through this. How can I stop it from happening again?



Should I take action? Pap test results showed higher than normal precancer cells, so it was thought to be HPV?performing shows



Sorry to hear but simply see a different doctor for a second opinion.



You should not wait as you are risking your childbearing capabilities as well as you health. Ask a different doctor, explain the situation and the circumstances to the new doc and see what he/she says. See if he or she agrees with the other doctors prognosis and treatment.



There are options but the longer you wait the less the become. Besides, if your present doctor doesn't believe you when you say you haven't had sex, why should you trust them if they do not trust you. It's not like it ultimately matters to him/her if you have had sex or not.



Should I take action? Pap test results showed higher than normal precancer cells, so it was thought to be HPV?say yes opera theater



Something's missing from your story. How is that 2 cauterizations were done without a diagnosis of HPV? Something transpired that you're not telling us because your story just isn't adding up. Is there anything you're forgetting?
Ask for a second opinion
Whether or not you have HPV, you obviously had abnormal cells, and while it is thought HPV is responsible for more than 90% of cervical cancers, that still leaves under 10% of cancers where the woman doesn't have HPV.



There are other risk factors for cervical cancer also - things like a weakened auto-immune system, if your mother took stilbestrol during her pregnancy, etc.



Personally I would prefer to be treated with whatever necessary - precancer cells are 100% treatable - cancers are not always successfully treated, depending on the staging. Currently I think rates are running around 72% survival at 5 years....
why are u mad at them? they are trying to help you!
Sorry but Ladies issues are not for me but I can say that Doctors often do things which to us (laymen) seem strange / not necessary / unduly embarrassing or just not seemingly fitting the symptoms. BUT YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM. They don't do things for fun, they are trying to cure the patient or treat the symptoms. Yes they should listen but they have to make a judgement call on the day using available facts.



I had to go to hospital last October: I had food poisoning (gastro-enteritis). They did some treatment for that, mainly a fluid drip but they did other tests to me none related. Seems that they thought I something more serious wrong which was not helping to avoid the food poisoning. They found it .. a form of Leukaemia. Now they are looking to save my life or at least prolong it. So you never know do you .. If they had not done tests then I'd probably be on my last legs by now .. Thanks to them I'm not, at least not yet!!



Of course if you don't like the treatment or you don't think its appropriate then you have a right to seek a second opinion.



I hope that you get well soon
Even if you dont have HPV, you DO have precancerous cells. I have been through this situation before, personally, and I am also a nurse. I can tell you, that your options are/were to keep watch on the cells and every 3 months have a paap test. Sometimes the body is able to recover on its own and grow normal cells again. Sometimes not. Basically, by having the cryo cautery, you skipped the paap tests every 3 months for probably a year. If your body did not heal itself in that year span, then you would have needed the cryo anyway. Cryo surgery should not affect your future child bearing. It may cause scarring on the cervix, which can be fixed, but it doesn't cause sterility. I really dont think you would have treated this any differently regardless if you had HPV or not. Precancer cells are nothing to mess with. HPV or otherwise. Be glad you treated it, and move on. Get a new MD if you no longer trust them. Good luck
You don't have to have HPV to have abnormal cells and you don't have to had sex to get them. HPV can cause abnormal cells, but it is not always the case, it could aswell be hormonal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd